In my opinion, grilled is the way to go with asparagus and it doesn't get much easier than this. We forgo proper manners in our house and eat our asparagus with our hands, french fry style.
- 1 bunch of asparagus
- 1 tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil
Tips:When buying asparagus, choose smaller stalks. The thinner the individual stalks are, the more tender they'll be. Thick stalks tend to be woody in texture.
- Wash and trim the asparagus. You can either cut the ends off in one fell swoop with a knife or snap them one by one. The individual stalks will naturally snap at the end where the stems become tough.
- Heat a large pan or griddle over medium-high heat.
- Place the trimmed asparagus on a cookie sheet, drizzle with the olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper then toss to coat thoroughly.
- Grill until the skin beings to char and blister — I find that using tongs is the easiest tool to use to keep the stalks moving on the pan.